MLA format headings
The (Modern Language Association) MLA comprises a group of scholars that formulated a style guide in order to standardize academic and research papers. This style manual provides instructions on formatting research papers, working in the electronic print and citing sources among several other things. The format is one of the several types of research paper structures that is used extensively in humanities, liberal arts, cinematic studies, cultural studies, English classes and art history.
The format generally includes Title Page, Outline, Report, Images, Appendixes and Works Cited (Bibliography). MLA format headings refer to the top portion of a research paper that is written as per MLA guidelines. It is quite simple to format the heading. Here are the steps to create proper MLA headings:
- Use Microsoft word from among all the other word processing programs. It is because in Ms Word the headers can be formatted with ease. Put proper settings and document margins before you begin to create a header.
- Keep 1-inch margin. This can be done by going to the Page Setup menu in the File option in your word document.
- Choose a font that is generally used. Refrain from using any fancy font. Usually Times New Roman 12 pt is good. The font can be adjusted by going to the Formatting toolbar on top of the page
- Choose double spacing by going to Line Spacing options
- Go to the Header option at the top menu and open it. In Microsoft Word, this option can be found under the View menu. Click on the Header and set it at the top right hand side. This can be done by going to the popup menu options.
- Write your last name and keep some space on the right side of it.
- Go to the "Insert" menu and click on Page Numbers. Choose the format, alignment and position on the menu.
- On the top left side, put your name followed by the name of the professor, the course name and number and the date when the paper is submitted.
Save the header that you have created. Take your cursor outside the header and start typing your paper.
Things to keep in mind
- Your last name as well as the page number in sequence must appear at the top of every page as you write your paper.
- The same font that is used in the header and MLA format front page should be used in the entire paper. Do not use a comma or any other punctuation after the header.
- Note that there is a single space between the name and the page number. You can click on the # sign and put in the appropriate page number.
- Check the specific requirements of your research paper because there are times when a number is not required on the first page.
Using a Header: Benefits
The heading is an important part of the paper as it helps to identify the writer of the paper. Teachers would have otherwise had a difficult time sorting through the papers and distinguishing one from the other. The header helps distinguish the papers and enables the writer to take credit for his or her work.
Also, the heading structure allows the writer to set the paper structure. The way the student structures the heading will determine the structure of the rest of the paper. It is good to start the paper right by formatting the header properly. Getting the header right helps students to excel academically, it helps the students to score well. Another benefit is that in case your research paper ever gets lost, your name mentioned on the top of the header can be used to return it back to you.
MLA format header example
The MLA format heading example offers a visual diagram complete with arrows and directions on how the top of a paper should be designed. A MLA header example allows students to get an exact idea of how the top of the page should look. Having a look at a MLA heading format example will make their writing time more productive. They can just save it and use the same header each time. This will help cut down on the time they would have otherwise spent on creating one.
While drafting your header and MLA style front page, keep in mind that teacher preferences might vary. Pay attention to the specifications of the teacher regarding MLA format for headings and incorporate them in your header.
For any help with formatting MLA style headings or if you want to have a look at an MLA style heading example, PremierEssay.com is the best source. MLA style is the most commonly used format in high school, colleges and university. We have helped hundreds of students with their research papers.
An MLA style header is an important part of a research paper formatted in MLA style. The top right hand side bears the name and page number while the left hand side comprises the name of the author followed by the name of the teacher, course name and number and the date of submission.
Do not know exactly what you need?
Want to make sure we can do your assignment? Send us everything you have and our expert writers will evaluate your order and generate a proposal!
What is also important - evaluation is free!Evaluate