College Application Essay
Writing Strategy for a Successful College Application Essay
Before you start the actual writing as one of the applicants, it is important that you prepare well and have skills and knowledge on how to write college application essays. You should be familiar with all the essay topics that are likely to be given to you by the admission officers. Some of the topics that you are likely to be given include but not limited to: an experience you could have had, the most achievements you have made in your life, your role model in the society, a travelling ordeal that you could have had, a character in a fiction, national events and many other topics.
When writing college application essays, try your level best to show off your personality traits to the college admission officers taking into consideration that the details you give in the application will definitely play some key roles in determining the direction of your future life. In most cases you will find writing essays for college applications intimidating to very many students. Why should you allow this to happen to you if the part of your application is fully under your control?
Personalize your application and speak your own unique voice taking into consideration that the essay you are to write is indeed your living breath. Be reflective and think about the type of person you are as an individual. The way you view the world, your aspirations and important personalities in your life are some of the things you should look into. This will form part of your positive affirmations that will keep your spirits and morale high up while writing college application essays!
When handling the topic you have chosen, do not just base your descriptions on “what”, dig deep and talk about “why” and “how”. In very rare cases, will you be expected to come up with your own topic to write about? If you take your time in advance to look at most of the college application essays examples, you will be able to find some of the key points that the admission officials look for in any college application essay.
One wonders if the application essays should be interesting. Sincerely speaking, they should be! Out of the more than 100 successful college application essays I took my time to go through, all of them were very interesting. Take your time to do this too. Assume you are given the role of an admission officer, there are piles of essays to go through, so what do you think should make an applicant’s essay stand out of the many? It should be interesting, in fact, to make it hook the reader’s attention and curiosity; this should come out at the introduction point as an opening statement.
In any essay for college application, the first statement forming part of the introduction should be as interesting as possible. Starting your statement like, “It was a bright morning when I started my journey to the college” should be avoided at all cost. The best way would be, “Everyone took to the heels without looking behind to confirm what was happening, I remember seeing a child crying helplessly” This is interesting and you will have the urge, the desire, to read it!
After thorough discussions by some institutions that use Common Application, there is currently new set of rules that govern writing a college application essay. In the rules are the new college application essay prompts. There is the increment of the length limit from 500 to 650 words. Why new prompts? They are meant to promote introspection and reflection. The students will be expected to choose from a list of 5 prompt options that will be given to them.
Key Points That Admission Officers Look For in College Application Essays
- Whether you have followed all the instructions outlined
- If you have indeed answered the essay question coherently and correctly
- If you have started your writing with a catchy and strong points that will be motivating and appealing to the reader to capture his/her interest.
- If you have used correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and of course sentence construction must be checked.
- The ability to make concrete points that are well explained with supportive arguments in a logical manner.
- Your kind of writing will certainly portray your personality; the officers look for this
- The correctness and completeness of the information given so that the reader is not left confused wondering the way forward
- If the facts given with respect to dates, events or evens places are correct.
Tips for Writing Quality College Application Essays
Some of the college application essay tips to be followed while writing include the following:
- Choose a topic that suits you best; one that will fully and truly highlight you
- Follow the right college application essay format while writing. It should have the beginning, middle and the end
- Avoid covering many issues or topics at ago; instead, let your focus be personal
- Use your own voice and thoughts, avoid relying on peoples’ ideas
- You can get a qualified person like an English language teacher to offer some college application essay help. Allow the person to proofread before submission.
- Ensure that your essay answers the college application essay prompt effectively by analysing it before you start. You should address the keywords and individual elements.
- Make your story is entertaining for the reader/admission officer to enjoy reading it without boredom.
- A compelling opening statement will make your essay to be selected as an example college application essay to others. So let it stand outright from the beginning.
Dos and Don’ts while writing College Application Essays
- Make sure that you write informative and succinct essays
- Try your level best to be you and you alone
- Present yourself as legitimately and modest
- Tackle all aspects of the essay question within the limits given
- Have self confidence; be original, reflective and thoughtful in your presentation
- Appear and demonstrate that you actually have a lot of knowledge regarding an institution/college
- Always ensure that you give your essay to somebody else to edit before submitting
- Allow yourself to use a wide range of words in your efforts to describe a personality character or even something else
- Elaborate your points well; it can be a tragedy, some kind of sickness or any other thing that you want to explain.
- Pay attention to the set deadlines and guidelines
- Go off the topic of the essay because you must write what you know
- Be negative, ambiguous, or shallow in whatever you write
- Give the notion that you actually know nothing or very little about a college
- Aim at giving false information just because you want to please the readers/admission officers.
- Submit your essay after writing without editing, proofreading and also seeking a second opinion from another person to eliminate grammatical mistakes.
- Be repetitive in the words you use like, be real! Be real! I tell you be real! My friend be real!
- Write a lot, too much of writing will spoil your essay
- Blow your own trumpet, show off or express your arrogance
- Write what you think and want to write; write what you are expected to write
- Rush to miss the key sections or areas of the essay.
For the best essay writing service offering any sort of paper writing including college application essays welcome to PremierEssay.com
Do not know exactly what you need?
Want to make sure we can do your assignment? Send us everything you have and our expert writers will evaluate your order and generate a proposal!
What is also important - evaluation is free!Evaluate