Writing book reviews
A VALUABLE GUIDE IN WRITING A BOOK REVIEW
All students, at one time, will have to write a book review. It is part of different school curriculums. If you want to know more about the proper ways to write one, this article is for you. Today, we will be discussing important tips to help you write a good book review that will definitely stand out.
Before listing the tips, we will first discuss the most usual components of professional book reviews. Knowing the components will help you understand more how it should be written.
- INTRODUCTION- For the introduction, you should include the title of the book and some important facts about the author.
- SUMMARY- In the summary, you need to give your readers a general idea about the book. It is also important to remember that you should avoid giving out spoilers. In the summary, it is imperative that you leave an impression to your readers so that they will be urged to read further.
- OPINION- For this part, you need to include the reasons why you liked or did not like the book. Be sure to back up your opinions with your reasons. For example, you can state why you liked or disliked the phasing of the book that you are reviewing. If you want, you can write a book review outline first so that you will not missed out on the things that you may include in the books reviews that you will be writing.
- CONCLUSION- The conclusion should include your recommendations. In addition, you also need to wrap everything up with a good ender. Always remember that your book review essay should culminate in a good and striking ending.
Now that we know the most common components/parts of a book review, we will now be tackling valuable tips that can help you to write the perfect book review:
- First of all, you need to understand the book by heart. If you want to have a winning critique, then you should understand what the book is all about. You can only do this by reading the book from cover to cover. Do not skip pages when reading because you might miss an important plot or happening. In order to have a well-balanced review, you need to entirely understand the author.
- You should gather all the information that you need. If it will help you to read other reviews, then you may also do so. Reading other reviews may help you appreciate the book even more. It can also widen your knowledge about the book that your are reviewing.
- You should always be unique with your review. Never copy another person’s review. You can use other reviews as a guide, but never copy it word per word. Unless, you want to be cited for plagiarism.
- You need to start listing and noting important sentences that will describe the book that you are reviewing. By doing so, it will be easier for you to remember all the important parts of the books that you want to discuss. In addition to this, it may be helpful to be honest with your review. If you did not enjoy the book, you may write down the reasons. This outline will be your guide while writing.
- If you have discussed the parts and elements that you did not enjoy, it is also helpful to point out the reasons why you liked the book. For example, you liked how it was phased and written, write and expound more. Some things that you may discuss include:
- Your favorite character
-The realness of the characters
-The flow of the story
-What you felt while reading the book
- Be sure to avoid too much spoilers. You need to understand that a book review is not about giving too away too much. There are things that you need to leave to the reader to discover themselves. Remember, the purpose of a book review is to have a sample view of the book and its plot. After reading a book review, a person may or may not be enticed to read the book that you are reviewing.
- Just like what was mentioned earlier, you should not reveal the whole plot. It can decrease the excitement of new readers if you have already written all the major and minor plots that you have discovered while reading.
- As much as possible, dig dipper while still maintaining surprise elements. This means that a book review is not just about discussing plot, character and scenes. You should be able to explore the book’s themes also. In addition to the themes, you will also need to analyze if the book’s theme was unique and a good read.
- Always be constructive with your comments. It is also important that you are fair. If you do not want the works of the author, you should set this aside. Review only the book at hand and not his/her other works. Focus on the book that you are reviewing. Always remember that each book has both pros and cons. The key is to balance everything out.
- Do not just outline your opinion. If you want a good book review, you should explain all your analysis in a clear way.
Where to find books reviews?
There are a lot of internet sites where you can find and buy book reviews. You can search for book review websites to help you in writing your own. These sites usually have a lot of fiction and non-fiction book reviews where you can pattern your own work. If you are not comfortable in doing your own review, you can always get book review service of book review companies.
If you want a professional book review, it is important to find a reputable company to do the job for you. For your book review needs, place an order at PremierEssay.com – the best company today for all your writing needs.
Do not know exactly what you need?
Want to make sure we can do your assignment? Send us everything you have and our expert writers will evaluate your order and generate a proposal!
What is also important - evaluation is free!Evaluate